By Tammy Parkinson
CPT, ACSM, NASM, Nutritionist
Body Firm Personal Training & Nutrition
In about a week I will be starting a series of workshops about toxins and detoxifying our bodies.
While I was getting prepared for these classes, I thought I had everything I needed in my tool belt to effectively run the courses.
The more I dug in, the more I realized I needed to learn. Toxins are frightening and are everywhere. Not to be paranoid here, but as a society, ignorance is not bliss! The cool part though, is with a little care of what to eliminate in our environment and our food and a little care on what to add to our environment and food…we can decrease our toxicity enormously. A little effort will go a long way!
Why would we want to get rid of toxins? Well, if you experience frequent headaches, fatigue, mucus problems, digestive problems, chronic pain, disease, the need for medication, allergies, kidney and liver dysfunction and plain old brain fog…toxins might be the culprit! Who wants to feel that way?
Here are some quick tips of what you can do to minimize toxicity that shouldn’t be too difficult!
- Review this list and see if you have household items which can cause toxicity: http://www.getipm.com/articles/10-worst-hometoxins.htm
- Steer clear of smoke (cigarette and fire)
- Careful of breathing fumes from aerosol sprays and cleaning chemicals
- Use plastic sparingly (never heat in plastic…or leave plastic in the sun) and try to use a reusable water bottle vs. plastic water bottles
- Careful of eating toxic foods like saturated fats, trans-fats, fake sugars, salt (other than sea salt) and over processed foods.
- Consider getting rid of your fabric softener
Here are 6 things you can do to detoxify your body and environment
- Drink filtered water…lots of it…with lemon, mint, lime, cilantro or cucumber daily
- Only put on your body (lotions, etc) what you would put IN your mouth! Our skin is our larges organ and absorbs everything into our blood stream!
- Eat organic and washed foods such as artichokes, berries, lemons, ginger, cabbage, apples, and garlic daily
- Soak in a hot bath with baking soda and mineral sea salt or epson salt every few days. To ramp it up, use a loofa sponge!
- Sweat (you knew this was coming) daily
- If you eat meat, fish or poultry, choose wild fish with a low mercury value, and choose meat and poultry which is antibiotic and hormone free and raised free range.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, but can make a huge difference in your health!