We have a listing where the homeowner requires at least a 1-hour notice before showing the home. Here’s what we suggested she do with that hour, and we think it might be helpful for you when you are showing your home, or if company is coming with short notice, etc.
- Store out of sight any kids toys and/or pet toys and beds.
- Vacuum/sweep the main living areas and bedrooms.
- Dust lampshades and surfaces that are eye level and below.
- Turn on ALL lights (make sure all light bulbs are working).
- Open ALL curtains and blinds to let in as much natural light as possible.
- Open windows (if it’s warm enough).
- Depending on the time of year, either turn the heat up 2 degrees or turn up the air conditioning by 2 degrees. You want buyers to be comfortable inside the home while they are there for the showing.
- Make sure there aren’t any lingering cooking odors. If you did have them, try simmering cinnamon on the stove in the hour before the showing to give your home a pleasant smell.
- Take anything valuable with you when you leave, including your pets, i.e., jewelry, prescription drugs, cash, and irreplaceable items.
If you found these tips helpful, please let us know in the comment box!